Hello, everyone! We have a lot of information here so please go through it carefully and please let me know if you have any questions. – Dayna
May’s meeting was so much fun! We had the honor of hosting a wonderful guest….Susan Irish from Fabulon! She gave us a great demonstration on all the amazing things you can do with Encaustic wax. We are so grateful for her willingness to serve the guild and teach us her technique.
We also got to hear from Kristine Peterson, our show and tell artist for May, as she shared her beautiful botanicals in gouache.
We had a lot of announcements and upcoming events to cover. I will list them below with as much detail as I can. Again, please reach out if you have any questions.
- Park Circle Farmers Market – We have the opportunity to set up a guild booth on the 4th Thursday every month. We would like to offer demos during the farmers market and give our guild members an opportunity to share their art. We are allowed to sell items for our members also. If you would like to volunteer to help man the booth one month or if you’d like to include 2 – 3 of your pieces of your work, please let us know at the June Meeting. We will have a sign up for booth volunteers and for those who would like to do a demonstration.
- Blade and Bull Axe Throwing – Our Active/ Participating Members (attend at least one meeting per quarter) have the opportunity to display work on the walls at the new Axe Throwing place in Park Circle. The theme there is very “Game of Thrones esk” Think Medevil knights and Vikings. If you have art that would fit in this theme and is hangable on the wall, please bring it to the next meeting and we will get it set up for you. You will also need a title card that has the Title of the piece, your name and the price. You may submit up to 4 pieces for display.
- Blade and Bull – Mural Design Project: We have also been offered an opportunity to design/paint a mural in the back throwing room of Blade and Bull. Cyril is working with me and the owners to design the piece and then we will need a group of volunteers to help paint it on the wall. All artists who participate will have their names on the piece as well as an opportunity to share and market themselves as a participant. I’m also working with the owners to see if maybe we can get an opportunity to do a free night of throwing for those who participate. They are providing all the materials needed for the project.
- Accent Wine – We are planning a September event. Each guild member will have an opportunity to display their work and enjoy a night of art and wine. We are working out the details and will share them with you as soon as we have them.
- NCAG/CYAG – Joint Exhibition at Otranto Library – Our members who participated in the collaborative project “Strength” in March and April have an exhibition of that collection coming up July 13 – 20th. The collective piece will be on display at the Otranto Road Regional Library. The opening reception will be on July 13th from 3-5pm. We will have light refreshments and can accommodate up to 55 people, so please invite your friends and family to celebrate this collaborative work by our members and the members of the Charleston Young Artists Guild. Let’s support one another.
- Holiday show -We will be planning a holiday “Art Walk” and have been reaching out to some of the businesses in Park Circle to participate. We are looking for volunteers to help with the continued planning of this event. We will have a sign up sheet ready for those who would like to assist with this and serve the guild members in this capacity.
- Art Talk interviews – Each month, I’ve been interviewing one of our guild members on our Facebook page. We want to support each of you and give you an opportunity to get your work out there for others to see. I will be interviewing Cyril Jedor in June. Please let me know if you are interested in being interviewed.
- Website Design – We are looking a volunteer that is good with SEO and keywording that can help us get our website to another level. Please let me know if you are able and interested in helping in this capacity.
- June Meeting – a look ahead Our next meeting is on June 25th – SCAAT (South Carolina Association of Art Therapists) will be presenting as our guests.
Final thoughts…..we are gaining momentum as a guild and have many things in process right now. We have more opportunities coming for display and events in the near future. I look forward to working with each of you as we grow together, support and empower one another and create an eclectic community of THRIVING artists here in North Charleston. Please remember that we will only grow and develop to the level that our members participate in opportunities and events. This is both in a volunteer capacity as well as using your gifts/talents to strengthen the guild. Let’s work together!
Have a blessed month and we will see you all on June 25th!